This is a really efficient use for charcoal sticks, from our willow charcoal making project. The resulting ink makes a really nice black ink, perfect for mark making and drawing.
- 50g crushed charcoal
- Gum arabic
- Mortar and pestle
- Old pot
- Coffee filter
- Glass jar
- Crush the charcoal to a fine grain, using a pestle and mortar. Or if you have a coffee grinder, this will help the process along even faster!
- Transfer the crushed charcoal to a jam jar and add 2 cups of water and shake well to mix.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve.
- Strain the mixture through a coffee filter, for an extra smooth flow.
- Add a few drops of gum arabic to the ink and seal the jar.
Gum arabic is a useful addition to thicken the ink mix, and gives more solid coverage.